While this playlist could be more appropriately titled Angkots, Buses and Walking now that I am in Indonesia, I compiled this list of 14 songs as I prepared to make the epic journey to the other side of the world. I am posting this a little late, but it still applies…and it may be useful for some future traveler.
- Beautiful Day – U2– This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I am convinced that U2 managed to epitomize Carpe Diem and the essence of travel with this one song—not just lyrically, but musically. A huge undertaking done beautifully.
- Nowhere Fast – Incubus – A song I often listened to before actually leaving. Will I ever get to where I’m going?
- Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright – Bob Dylan – a song about being on the road. Yes, there’s love involved, but what’s travel without a little drama and nostalgia for the things left behind?
- The World At Large – Modest Mouse – classic song for any drifter for whom places get old and who hasn’t felt quite at home anywhere.
- Dashboard – Modest Mouse – if you’re in a car, and the dashboard melted, but still had the radio – it will still be a damn good road trip.
- Missed the Boat – Modest Mouse – talks about missing numerous modes of transportation and being happy about it! Yes, I get that it’s a metaphor, but it’s still true inspiration for what could easily be a travel horror story.
- People As Places As People – Modest Mouse – this song deals with an interesting idea that a traveler should be very familiar with. Exploring places can be like getting to know a person, and people (including our own self) are truly the most complicated places to get to know and explore.
- Fly Away – Lenny Kravitz– a good song for those travelers that like the feeling of leaving things behind, getting away and seeing the best life has to offer.
- I Want to Break Free – Queen – I don’t mean to go all Eat, Pray, Love with this song choice, but it’s a good one for those who are breaking free (not just from somebody – it can be a routine), traveling and finding themselves and true interests.
- Dumb – Nirvana – This song has a noteworthy hook about appearing dumb to others because of your “alternative” decisions –whether it is in travel or in life. I’d say I’m just different – independent – and most importantly, happy.
- Aeroplane – Red Hot Chili Peppers– “Music is my aeroplane.” Enough said.
- Sweet Disposition – The Temper Trap – If you take out the lyrics – the music just sounds like the soundtrack to going some place awesome- which is probably why it has been used in Coca-Cola commercials.
- All Around the World – Theophilus London– Generally, if the title is “All Around the World” and lists off cities in the lyrics – the song makes it to this list.
- La Vuelta al Mundo – Calle 13 – I had to slip some Spanish-language music since it compiles about 1/3 of my iTunes and I am Latin. I’d urge anyone to learn Spanish just so they can grasp the magnitude of Calle 13 lyrics.*
*La renta, el sueldo, el trabajo en la oficina
Lo cambie por las estrellas y por huertos de harina.
Me escape de la rutina, para pilotear mi viaje
Porque el cubo en el que vivía se convirtió en paisaje.
Yo era un objeto esperando a ser ceniza…
Un día decidí hacerle caso a la brisa
A irme resbalando detrás de tu camisa
No me convenció nadie, me convenció tu sonrisa
Y me fui tras de ti persiguiendo mi instinto
Si quieres cambio verdadero, pues camina distinto.